Saturday, July 12, 2014

Chicken Adobo: The OTHER Filipino Dish You've Probably Tasted

Like my flat chest and weird elbows, I inherited the adobo chicken recipe from my Dad.  I can't in good conscience count this as one of my new recipes since I have made this at least once a month since sophomore year of college and could make this in my sleep at this point.  But Steph Diaz, Bryan Bosque, Donnell Williams and Brooke Allen requested my version of it, and who am I not to give the people what they want? Especially Pinoy and honorary Pinoy friends? YOU GUYS - IT'S SO EASY. DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED BY CHICKEN ADOBO. ALL YOU DO IS DUMP THINGS IN A BOWL, THEN DUMP THINGS IN A POT, AND THEN COOK IT AND THEN EAT IT.


Emjoy's Version of Chicken Adobo
Choice of libation: It was a muggy day (again) so I went with Effen black cherry vodka and diet coke, a boozy wink to the childhood favorite.
Choice of music: Apertif for Destruction by Richard Cheese, also a boozy wink to childhood favorites (specifically his versions of "You Oughta Know" and "Somebody Told Me")


Like a good Gavino, I began exactly as my Dad would - marinate the chicken (though you can use any meat or veggie you would like) in soy sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper, rubbing in some of the minced garlic, just to make sure that flavour (and smell) is inescapable. I usually marinate it overnight but as long as it soaks in for 3 or 4 hours, that's fine. 

When you're finally ready to cook, saute the rest of the garlic (and at this point I also add sweet onions - GASP! - deviant) until fragrant and soft then add the chicken and sauce, bring to a boil and simmer on low for 3 hours or until the meat is literally falling off the bone.

I added green beans at the last 10 minutes because (say it with me) THEY WERE ON SALE. Also at this point I added coconut milk because I like a creamier sauce to pour over the rice.

Um. Dude.  You're done.  Wasn't that easy? NOW EAT. Like my parents and their parents before them, I will watch you until you finish everything on your plate.  
AND YOU WILL FINISH EVERYTHING ON YOUR PLATE.

Stolen (and heavily adapted) from my Dad

2 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces (I used drumsticks and breasts)
3 pcs dried bay leaves
a bunch of soy sauce (I used low sodium)
a bunch of vinegar (I used balsamic)
*recipes usually call for a few table spoons, but I usually cover the chicken in soy sauce and vinegar
3 cloves garlic, crushed (I used 6 large cloves)
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup water
1 can coconut milk
1/2 lb green beans
salt and whole peppercorn

1. In a large container, dump the soy sauce, vinegar, salt, pepper and 3 cloves crushed garlic on the chicken. Marinate the chicken for at least 3 hours
2.  Place the cooking oil in a pan and apply heat. When the oil is hot enough, add 3 cloves crushed garlic, and the sliced onion and cook until soft
3. Dump in the marinated chicken. Cook all the sides for about 5 minutes.
4. Dump in the remaining marinade and add water. Bring to a boil
5. Add the dried bay leaves. Cover and simmer on low for 3 hours or when the meat is falling off the bone.
6. 10 minutes before serving, dump in the coconut milk and green beans.
Serve hot over rice





No comments:

Post a Comment