Friday, October 3, 2014

I ate 90% of that pepperoni bread and am NOT ashamed (I'm a little ashamed)

Ahh...Pepperoni.  Just the mere mention of it makes me feel guilty and slightly acne-riddled.  Maybe because I associate it with the awesome gooey, greasy pizza they used to sample at Costco during weekend lunch times when I was little.  Maybe because any time I eat anything with pepperoni, any light colored clothing I'm wearing or upholstered furniture I'm near becomes spotted with vibrant red-orange. When I eat pepperoni it's because I already know I want to be bad.  


The first time my awesome friend Dana brought over her famous pepperoni bread, it was for a party I was throwing.  She graciously brought over two loaves, and it was so good that after 15 minutes, it was gone and I had only had one piece.  I selfishly decided it was time for my own pepperoni party and only I was invited.  And okay, fine, Dana, too.

Recipe #35: Dana Tretta's Famous Pepperoni Bread
Choice of libation: Ms. Tretta loves a good red wine.  And I love a good deal at the grocery store.  So we got a nice box (again, no shame) of Bota Box Malbec.  It's earthy like a malbec should be with subtle tannins, a nice spice and a blackberry finish.  Stands up well to dishes with strong flavor. One box is about 4 bottles and it was about $19. Win.
Choice of music: Brandi Carlile, "Live at Benaroya Hall" is one my favorites to listen to.  She's awesome on her records, but she is incredible live.  Backed up by the Seattle Symphony (I know, random for a folk rock artist), her voice just soars.  It also contains songs from "Give Up the Ghost" and "The Story" as well as some gorgeous covers.  If I have ever made you a mixtape, chances are, one of her songs are on it.  I am a fan. 

Like any Italian recipe, you must not be afraid to get messy.  Here are Dana's adorable hands, flouring our horrible 90's style kitchen counter.

Dana's mother insists that you must use the Pilsbury French Loaf dough for the right texture.  Don't try to get all fancy with the croissant dough or any of the other ones. 

It may seem like Dana's adorable hands are doing all of the work.  That is mostly true.  But I did help spreading out the pepperoni slices.  I also helped drinking the wine.  

How much cheese you use is totally up to you.  But.  You've met me.  I'm not going to skimp on that calcium.  As Dana put it, "Might as well use the whole bag." 
See why we're friends?

Roll the dough TOWARDS you so the seam ends up on the bottom. Otherwise it might fall apart. And I mean, let's be honest, I'd still eat it, but you we do want it to be pretty.

Tuck the ends like a burrito.  Not like a burrito would tuck the ends. But tuck the ends like you tuck the ends of a burrito.  I don't even know what I'm saying anymore.

I know you'll want to pop it in the oven immediately, but not so fast.  The pepperoni bread burrito still needs to be massaged in olive oil!

And sprinkled with oregano and more cheese!

I so enjoy cooking dates.  While the bread baked in the oven, we were able to catch up on our lives and toast to our awesomeness.

Sometimes things don't LOOK perfect at first.

But COME ON. 

YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

stolen from Mama Tretta and Dana
1 package of Pilsbury French Bread dough
1 package of pepperoni slices
1 bag of shredded mozzarella
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons oregano
3-4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
marinara sauce for dipping

Preheat the oven to 350
Flour a clean surface
Roll out the dough and make sure it's a nice smooth rectangle
Lay out the pepperoni in rows on the dough
Mozzarella to your heart's content
Roll the end of the dough towards you, so the seam ends up on the bottom
Tuck the sides
Massage the top and sides of the bread with olive oil
Sprinkle oregano and Parmesan
Cook for 20-30 minutes, or until the bread looks toasted.






No comments:

Post a Comment