Saturday, January 24, 2015

Still making paleo recipes. Or don't you CARROT all?

Dude. I know.  My subject titles are getting pretty bad.  In my defense, I've eaten far less cheese this month. So. 

Luckily, this concludes the month of paleo I begrudgingly completed for this blog.  It wasn't terrible but I don't know that it's something I would LIKE to do every day all the time.  I had been craving soup lately and since my previous recipes have been kind of meat heavy I thought I'd try something that vegetarians might be able to snack on.  And all this cold weather prompted me to look for something with a little heat. This time in the form of curry and ginger and cumin. 



Recipe #4: Curried Carrot Ginger Soup
Choice of libation: The 2013 reserve syrah from a niche winery in Sonoma county that happens to be called "Dawson Creek."  

  
Despite implications of the name, I didn't spew pretentious words and cry in my room to Paula Cole after drinking it.  It was actually wonderfully bold (much more Pacey than Dawson, I'd say), with notes of currant and blackberry.  The spiciness and fruit went really nice with the soup. (And the steak we had with the soup)

Choice of music: Uptown Special, produced by Mark Ronson. Of course you've probably heard "Uptown Funk" with Bruno Mars, which is a standalone hit.  But whole album is really worth listening -- in order if you can.  
I like this one and have always loved Mystikal.  Incidentally, I heard a censored version of one his more popular songs featuring the lyrics "shake ya face, but watch yourself..."  
I giggled for probably two minutes at the CVS.

Ginger and sweet onions...the beginning of many beautiful stories.

No need to justify anything for this recipe.  This IS practically a salad.

Okay, so don't do what I did and over blend it if you enjoy a thicker soup (which I do). I do like how powerful I feel when operating an immersion blender.  
I'm pretty sure that's normal and I don't need to talk to anyone about that.


 

These are pictures that other people took of the meal we ended up with.  Because Chad seared the sirloin, I didn't post the recipe.  I just figured this soup would make a better lunch or dinner side.  Which was a good call. Just know that actually this soup pairs really beautifully with a steak salad with balsamic dressing, roasted pecans, red onions and spinach.  No pictures exist because I was ACTUALLY EXPERIENCING LIFE AND NOT TAKING PICTURES OF IT. 
Also I might have just been too hangry to remember.  

stolen and heavily adapted from paleoleap.com

8 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 small zucchini, peeled and roughly chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 apple, peeled and roughly chopped
(I added one small sweet potato, peeled and chopped)
2 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced;
1 tsp. turmeric; (we didn't have tumeric, but I added 3 tbsp curry, 2 tbsp cumin and 1 tbsp chipotle chile powder)
Pinch of cinnamon;
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock;
1 cup coconut milk; (optional)
Cooking fat
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;

Melt some cooking fat in a saucepan placed over a medium-high heat.
Add the ginger and the onion and cook until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
Add all the remaining vegetables, the apple, and the spices. Give everything a good stir, and cook until the carrots are soft.
Pour in the stock and bring to a boil, lower the heat and let everything simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
Puree the soup using an immersion blender, or in batches using a blender.
Pour in the coconut milk, season to taste, and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment