Sunday, January 26, 2014

Weird, but Surprisingly Pleasant (That's what they called me in high school...?)

This week I decided to really go for something different.  Because Polar Vortex 2: The Rage approaches, it was time for another big pot of soup.  I also wanted to do something that my vegetarian friends might be able to try.  I stumbled on a recipe that involved a few of my favorite things: sweet potatoes, ginger, peanut butter (um...) , honey (whaa...?). It was either going to be terrible or wonderful but at least it was something different.  

Recipe #3: NUTTY SWEET POTATO SOUP
Choice of libation: Trader Joe's Block Red Shiraz.  Slightly complex and a little spicy (though I had been tasting the soup throughout the night, and I might have had cayenne pepper on my tongue the whole time).
Choice of music: Bob Schneider's A Perfect Day (very mellow with a touch of funk (which is what I wish they called me in high school))

I took this picture from far away, not just to get all those awesome ingredients in one shot but also so you can't tell how horrible my knife skills are.

As you can tell, I got a little to enthusiastic using the micro-plane grater on the ginger.   Note the horrible gash on my middle finger.  ALL THAT BLOOD.  

Oh, that's much better.  Now I don't have to worry about bleeding all over the garlic, like that one chick did on that episode of Chopped and then she got eliminated on the first round because the judges were understandably too grossed out to eat her food.  But anyway. Isn't that band-aid adorable?  I did a show that used colorful band-aids and they let me keep the extra ones after the show.  Who says theater actors don't get any swag?  Also, I am obviously not left handed and am trying to show off how adorable my new band-aid is.


No, but seriously, HOW CUTE IS THAT BAND-AID?


Okay, okay, so after sauteing the vegetables, you pour in the diced tomatoes and broth.  This is where I get slightly non-vegetarian because they only had 1 thing of vegetable broth, so I used MOSTLY vegetable broth and 2 cups of chicken broth.  I'M SORRY. I TRIED, OKAY? SHEESH.


Oh crap, my glass is empty and I'm not nearly done cooking! 

Mmm, box wine.  (See how I ALMOST get another shot of my adorable band-aid in this one?)

After getting all that stuff to boil, I had to let it simmer for roughly 20 minutes on low heat. I wonder what Pippin is up to...?


She is hanging with her hedgehog. They are BFF's.  

She really loves the hedgehog. 

Oh.  I think they want to be alone.  Hm.  Back to the soup.

Here is a hint about using an immersion blender.  Do not push the "on" button until it is firmly in the liquid.  Unless you want all your walls to be the same color as your soup.  Also, please pardon my chipping manicure.  I really didn't think about that while taking all these pictures of my hand.

The recipe called for 2/3 cup peanut butter but all the reviews said that the soup didn't need all that, so I used about a spoonful.  A very large spoonful. 

Like I said, honey goes in this too.  I didn't really measure it but I think it was ABOUT 2 teaspoons. That bear's face is kind of creeping me out though.  

Chad really liked the way it turned out. It is actually spicier than I had anticipated, partially because I might have grated  twice the amount of ginger needed and I also am not accustomed to a lot of cayenne pepper.  I think I would make this again and reduce the cayenne, and maybe add some smoked paprika so it's still flavorful but not as hot, because I am a spice wimp.  Also I forgot to buy scallions, which I'm kicking myself for because I love scallions and it would have made it so much prettier.  But at least I have this adorable band-aid.  And box wine.  Bon appetit, everyone! 

This recipe was stolen from www.foodnetwork.com

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (2 cups)
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can no salt added diced tomatoes, with their juices
2/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 cup chopped scallion greens (about 3 scallions)

Heat the oil in a large soup pot over a medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell pepper and carrots and cook, stirring until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the cayenne, black pepper, garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the sweet potato, broth, and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

*Puree the soup in the pot using an immersion blender or in a regular blender in 2 batches and return the soup to the pot. Add the peanut butter and honey and stir, over low heat, until the peanut butter melts. Serve warm, garnished with the scallions.

*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.




No comments:

Post a Comment