Thursday, February 6, 2014

Chocolate Cake for Breakfast Because I Don't Care Anymore

I'm going to attempt to write this blog entry before I crash from all the sugar I've had today.  Between this and something I tried called a "doughscuit" (thanks, Tanya) that mainly tasted like butter, I may have given myself some sort of special diabetes today.  But I digress.  I woke up and wanted flourless chocolate cake for breakfast and gosh darn it, if being an adult means anything it's that I CAN MAKE THAT DREAM A REALITY. 

RECIPE #5: Flourless Chocolate Cake

Choice of libation: Coffee -- the Fremont Blend from Caffe Ladro, one of my favorite places in Seattle. Really great fair trade organic blend -- medium roast, hints of baked pear and almond.
Choice of music: Construction outside my place (Marianos Grocery HURRY UP ALREADY!)

So the recipe calls for neither coffee, cayenne pepper or cinnamon, but that sounded good, so I decided to go for it. Also I was out of vanilla extract, so I subbed in Captain Morgan's spiced rum.  I know, I know. You're starting to think I have an alcohol problem, but I don't.  I really WAS out of vanilla extract. 

Grease and dust the pan, for some reason? Whatever. My coffee isn't done yet.

I also didn't have a double boiler so I faked this part.  Please disregard the arugula that is under the burner.  Actually don't.  Maybe its proximity makes it healthier? LIKE A SALAD?

Mmmm...butter and chocolate.  Calcium and antioxidants!

I've never seen anything more beautiful.  As if from heaven. I may have cried.

I think I just stared at it for 10 minutes, waiting for it to cool.  

Every picture I took of it, after plating, made it look disgusting so I settled on this blurry picture that kind of makes it look like a broken brownie.  It was really good, very very rich, and because I didn't have cocoa (I maybe shouldn't have done this recipe since I didn't have all the ingredients or kitchen equipment, oh well), I subbed in twice the amount of chocolate pieces.  Which is probably why it was so fudgey.  Which I'm not mad at, but made it difficult to plate in an aesthetically pleasing way.  Because I have only eaten this, a butter dough-scuit and several cups of coffee all day, I should probably eat something more substantial.  Unless having the tremors is normal?  I guess the wisdom I give you is...If you're going to have this for breakfast, maybe also have a side of breakfast.  

This recipe was stolen from
allrecipes.com

4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
 1/2 cup butter
 3/4 cup white sugar
 1/2 cup cocoa powder
 3 eggs, beaten
 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* and if you want, add cayenne pepper, cinnamon and coffee, because, yum...

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch round cake pan, and dust with cocoa powder.

In the top of a double boiler over lightly simmering water, melt chocolate and butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, cocoa powder, eggs, and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Slices can also be reheated for 20 to 30 seconds in the microwave before serving.
** I actually left it in for 45 minutes because it was SO soft.  But to each their own...



No comments:

Post a Comment