Monday, June 2, 2014

Bears. Bacon. Bourbon. Battlestar Galactica.

Ok.  I had a bad show.  Like, I full on tripped and fell face first into a wall onstage.  And then tripped over an audience member's foot, in the next act.  So.  I'm having a bad day. And when I'm having a bad day, I eat my feelings.  Sometimes I drink my feelings. Sometimes I cook my feelings.  Today I did all of those things.  And that is my prerogative.


ANYWAY. I wanted bacon and cheese and carbs, so I made this for myself.

Recipe #20: Sweet Potato Biscuits with Bacon, Blue Cheese and Chives
Choice of libation: What I now call "Bruised Ego Breakfast" -- We start off with the typical stuff - iced coffee, kahlua, BUT THEN, we add New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon (which has traces of their Dragon's Milk chocolate stout in it) and this bourbon caramel sauce that the lovely Brooke Hills gave as a gift.  You guys.  This drink.  Is divine.  DOOOOO IIIIIT...


Choice of music: Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds - They're bluesy and loose and they go with this drink.

Ok, so I'm cheating a little.  I've actually made sweet potato biscuits before.  But I've never put bacon and blue cheese and chives in them, that's new.  I'm cheating so you and I can win, ok?  

I actually used 2 cups of whole wheat flour and only 1 cup of all purpose flour .  PRACTICALLY A SALAD (please disregard the 12 tablespoons of butter (unless you count that towards your calcium intake, like I do)).

This is actually a great recipe to try when you need to work out some frustration. Like after falling into a wall.  For example.  

More calcium.  For the cookie sheet.

Our entire place will smell like bacon for the rest of the week. And we are never sad about that.

Too misty. And too much in love.
(I actually forgot that I should have mashed the sweet potatoes beforehand with the milk, but I got too excited.  And by excited, I MIGHT mean drunk)

Yes, I use janky scissors on my chives.  Say it: I am a philistine.

All the good things in life are in this picture, right here.

Further proof, we might drink too much...Yes, that IS a beer goblet I am using to cut out biscuits.

Think about it. If I can make these beautiful baked goods while I'm half in the bag, think of how easy it must be. They're real real good, though.  Variations you might wanna try -- sharp white cheddar and green onions or maple and cinnamon with cream cheese...Happy baking! Good night.  

adapted from foodnetwork.com
(Food Network's former diva, Paula Deen (I'm still mad at her, but the woman knows her buttery baked items))

2 cups cooked mashed sweet potato (about 2 large sweet potatoes)
1/3 cup milk, as needed (I used coconut and almond milk)
1 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small bits
about 5 slices of bacon
3 or 4 tablespoons of chives
1/2 cup blue cheese

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet (with butter, oil or cooking spray).

Cook the bacon, let cool then chop to desired size

Chop up chives

In a small bowl, whisk together the sweet potatoes and 1/3 cup milk. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter with your hands, a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the sweet potato mixture and fold gently to combine. Add the remaining milk a little at a time until all the flour is moistened. The amount of milk you will need will depend on the moisture of the sweet potato.

Sprinkle a small handful of flour on a work surface. Turn the dough out onto the surface and knead lightly 2 to 3 times with the palm of your hand until the mixture comes together. 

Fold in the chives, cheese 

Pat the dough out into a 1/2-inch-thick round.

Using a 2 1/2-inch-round biscuit cutter, cut the dough into biscuits. Gently reroll the scraps and cut out more biscuits. Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet and bake until light golden brown and firm to the touch, 12 to 14 minutes. Serve these fluffy biscuits warm or at room temperature.




No comments:

Post a Comment