Wednesday, April 16, 2014

When You Have a Food Blog But Just Want to Order Aroy Thai

I thought to myself, "What recipe could possibly follow an apple pie with a cheddar crust?! It should be something innovative, something inspiring, something that really pushes the envelope..."And then I realized I just wanted to put a bunch of peanut sauce on something and eat it. I have those days sometimes. I know you do, too. Also, I was tired this week.  So I figured this was a good time to use the slow cooker.

Recipe #15: Crock-pot Chicken with Peanut Sauce
Choice of libation: A brut rose from the fabulous sparkling wine makers at L. Mawby in the Leelanau Peninsula in Michigan.  We've visited the vineyards twice so far, and every time, we leave a little tipsy and with a few bottles. This one is more on the sweeter side, but it pairs pretty well with spicy or salty foods.  I tasted a lot of nectarine.  It is a great bottle to bring to parties. Specifically so you can yell, "WHO WANTS SEX?!"
 
Oh.  Also, the wine is called "Sex."

Choice of music: The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter.  It is one of his best, in my opinion.  It kind of also reminds me of Johnny Cash a little bit.  I'm so bummed I'm missing his concert in Chicago next week. You should go in my place! Click here.  

The peanut sauce is pretty straight forward.  I only used these items which I got at THE NEW MARIANO'S OUTSIDE MY HOUSE! Sorry.  I will stop geeking out about that.

...yummy? The recipe says, don't worry about the way it looks.  Even if it separates now, it will come together in the crock-pot.  So.

Dump stuff into the slow cooker.  I didn't show me cubing the chicken and sauteing the onions because I figured we're past all that now.

Again.  I decided not to worry about it.

Set the timer for three hours! This gives me enough time to study lines and think about going to the gym!


Okay, true story: I went to the gym. But every cardio machine was taken.  So. 
Anyway.

I added broccoli, green onions and red peppers into the mix, 30 minutes before it was done cooking.

And, voila! Serve on top of whole wheat noodles or brown rice or just a plate if you're one of those no-carb humans. Yeah, the dish isn't life changing, but I would make it again. And it did keep me from pressing #4 on my speed dial (Aroy Thai). 


 stolen from http://practical-stewardship.com/

1 onion, minced
1-2 T olive oil
1 lb. of free-range chicken if possible cubed (If you are making this vegan or vegetarian, substitute the chicken with a pound of your favorite stir fry vegetables)
2 carrots, chopped
VEGAN THAI PEANUT SAUCE
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup soy sauce or liquid amminos
1/2 cup water or broth-use vegetable broth for vegan
2-5 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled & grated
1/4 t red pepper flakes, or to taste
ADDITIONAL VEGETABLES
2 cups broccoli, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
Instructions

Optional, sauté onions in 1-2 T olive oil until translucent.
In a medium mixing bowl combine the 6 peanut sauce ingredients, and stir until combined. Don't worry if the sauce has separated a bit. It will melt and come together in the crock-pot.
Place onion, cubed chicken (or vegetable substitute), and carrots in the crock-pot.
Coat the chicken mixture with the peanut sauce.
Cover, and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 5-6 hours, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
In the last 20-30 minutes of cooking, add the additional vegetables. You can wait to add the green onion if desired and use it to garnish the dish when serving.
Serve with rice (I cook my rice in the crock-pot) or on a bed of your favorite 100% whole grain or gluten free noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment