Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Lettuce Use Up All the Food in the Fridge

Oh you guys.  Major blogger foul.  I totally whipped up a new recipe on the fly and didn't take pictures while doing it.  Because I was hangry.  Also because. Boxed wine.   Luckily my little brother saved the day because he literally takes a picture of every meal he eats.  We would be lost without his generation.

Recipe #28: Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Choice of libation: Trader Joe's Block White Wine chardonnay.  It's a good chardonnay if you don't like chardonnay, which I don't.  More citrus and less butter than I would expect.  Also, it was a little over $10 for 3 liters.  Wahoo!

Choice of music: The toddler who lives above us, running back and forth non-stop until she got sleepy. Don't worry.  I had my boxed wine.

This all started because we happened to have had this box of chile lime chicken burger in our freezer that was haunting me for the past several weeks and I wanted to do something with it.  I started by defrosting it and then chopping all of the meat up.

Remember I didn't take any pictures because boxed wine? Here is a picture that someone on the internet took of diced red peppers and red onions.  Just ignore that sweet banana pepper and bowl of beans in this picture and replace them with minced ginger, shredded carrots and 2 stalks of celery. I sauteed all those things together and added the diced chicken burger.

While the veggies and chicken were cooking, I warmed some peanut butter, ginger, red chili flakes, soy sauce and lime juice then poured it over the chicken mixture.  
Here is a picture of someone else's peanut sauce.

This is the actual food I cooked.  It doesn't look like much but it tasted pretty great and it's mostly healthy.  Considering this was just a meal to get rid of stuff before they went bad, I rather enjoyed it and would make it again. 

1 package of Trader Joe's Chile Lime Chicken burgers (defrosted)
4 tablespoons minced ginger
1/2 diced red onion
1 diced red bell pepper
2 diced stalks celery
1 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup peanut butter
half of a lime
2 tablespoons soy sauce
red chili flakes
washed and dried lettuce (I would use romaine next time, this time I used green leaf)
salt and pepper

Saute 2 tablespoons of the ginger, with the onion, pepper, celery and carrots on medium low
Dice the chicken burger and throw in with the saute once vegetable start to soften
Salt and pepper to taste
In a saucepan, warm peanut butter and whisk with lime juice, soy sauce, with the red chili flakes until a thinner consistency 
Pour peanut sauce over burger and veggie mixture
Cook until meat is cooked through
Spoon chicken mixture into center of the lettuce
Eat like a taco
Don't eat it like a taco would eat it
Eat it as if you would eat a taco









No comments:

Post a Comment