Monday, June 15, 2015

Menu-don't? You're missing out...

Now that you have this image seared into your brain forever, I figure you can get over the fact that it's been over a month since I've posted.  Also. I'm sorry.

There is an actual reason for posting this picture of a Menudo album cover with my headshot terribly pasted onto the lead singer's face.  I can't remember the first one. But the second reason is because I made menudo.  For those of you who don't know, menudo is not just a Puerto Rican boy band formed in the 70's, leading to two feature films, Una Aventura Llamada Menudo and Menudo: La Pelicula, it is also a Filipino stew that I grew up eating.  I decided to attempt something similar to my Dad's recipe with the confidence of a young Mario Lopez (who was not in Menudo, but did have the pre-requisite hair style).

Recipe #15: Menudo (not that one, the other one)

Choice of libation: There is a Ricky Martin cocktail that consists of Midori, Orange Stolichnaya, Pina Colada mix and honey dew.  That sounded disgusting. So I just had a beer.
Choice of music: Duh.  I'm a leave this here, though...

                                        
Those moves! That hair!






I made this on a weirdly rainy (for June) day when I just wanted to taste comfort and home.  The tang of the tomato and raisins, the kick from the ginger...This totally does it for me.

stolen from myfilipinorecipes.com

2 lbs pork loin or shoulder; 
cut in about 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 lb pork or beef liver; (I skipped this, because I've always found liver to be gross) 
sliced in about 1/2-inch cubes
1 potato diced (fry in 3 minutes)
1 carrot diced (fry in 3 minutes)
1 onion chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
3 tbsp ginger minced
1 small tomato; chopped
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup chickpeas
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 calamasi or vinegar
Cooking oil

Marinate pork in soy sauce, calamansi, and ground black pepper for 1 hour.

Boil liver, drain, and set aside.

Sauté garlic, onion, and tomato. Add marinated pork, then continue sautéing until all liquid has evaporated and meat starts to render fat.

Add tomato sauce and simmer for 15 minutes. Add liver, potato, carrot, and raisins. Continue cooking in medium fire for 5 minutes or until cooked.

Season with little sugar, if desired, according to taste. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment