Monday, March 10, 2014

Cumin to America

Chad said I should absolutely not use that title, but I just kept thinking of the four people who read this blog who never would have read those words in this context and I...I just had to.  I did it for you guys.  So yes. Cumin to America it is.  I actually have never made a shepherd's pie before, but I couldn't resist the cool spices that this one had.  And also there was a sale on sweet potatoes.

Recipe #10: Moroccan Shepherd's Pie
Choice of libation: A homemade bock beer Chad called "Norwegian Wood" in honor of the most recent show at Writer's Theater, Hedda Gabler.  

I am probably biased since I tend to like every beer he makes, but this one is especially good for cold weather. It is dark and malty with not too many hops.  Which is what they called me in high school. Yeah, that's right. That whole sentence.
Choice of music: Yo La Tengo's album latest album, Fade.  There's something very 60's sleepy surfer about this one. I really liked it. 

I love that my kitchen constantly smells like onions, garlic and ginger.  I am not being sarcastic.  I grew up with these smells and it always makes me feel warm and tingly...I should maybe ask a doctor about that?

Ground lamb would have been great, but the ground beef was looking good that day. And by "looking good that day" I mean "on sale."

I guess it wouldn't be a Hangry Eyes recipe if I wasn't dumping things in a pot to simmer.  

Sweet potatoes are boiled to get mashed up and spiced and baked on top of the pie.  This reminds me I want this color for my next manicure. "Boiled Sweet Potato."
Does Essie make that one?

I had to open another bottle of the bock because the sweet potatoes were looking a little dry.  The recipe calls for "non dairy milk), but I will tell you, you will NOT be mad at the flavors if you use a dark beer. I probably put in 3-4 tablespoons. Or a swig and a half.  And it would have been irresponsible to not finish the bottle after that. Also, it paired nicely with a chunk of pepper jack cheese from the previous recipe.

This is the pie after 40 minutes in the oven.  I wanted it a little crispier so I put it in for 10 more.  The kitchen smelled like a spicy heaven. That is NOT what they called me in high school.

My stupid stupid camera on my phone would not take a non-blurry picture. I am convinced it is sentimental and by the time I need to show the finished product it is just so misty-lensed it cannot help but take pictures like this.  Either that or I had the shakes. Entirely possible.  ANYWAY, the raisins and sweet potatoes gave it some surprising tang and I am not one to shy away from cilantro though you can probably sprinkle it with parsley or whichever herb delights you. 

The recipe was stolen from...
ourfourforks.com

FOR THE FILLING
1 lb grass-fed ground lamb or beef (omit for vegan)
3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 15 oz. cans drained) (optional for meat version)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 white onion, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon honey (optional)
2 cups chopped plum tomatoes (about ¾ 28 oz can, drained)
½ cup stock (vegetable, chicken or beef) + salt to taste
½ cup currants or raisins
½ bunch cilantro, stems removed, chopped
FOR THE MASH
1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chucks
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons non-dariy milk OR BEER (more if needed) 

FOR THE FILLING// Brown the ground meat in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Remove meat from skillet and set aside.
Add olive oil to the pan along with the onions, garlic, ginger, spices and salt and cook for 8-10 minutes until the onion is softened.
Return the meat to the pan (if using) along with the honey, tomatoes and stock.
Bring to a boil and simmer until the sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes more.
Add chickpeas (if using), currants, and chopped cilantro, stir and remove from heat.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
FOR THE MASH// Boil the potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes or until tender.
Drain well and add the olive oil, cumin, garlic powder, salt and milk.
With a hand blender (or potato masher), blend until they reach a creamy consistency.
ASSEMBLY// Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Fill a 13 in x 9 in casserole dish with the filling and spread the mash on top.
Bake for 40 minutes until the topping is beginning to brown.
Garnish with extra chopped cilantro, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment