Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Hakuna Some Vodka

The Three People who Read This Blog: Emjoy we're worried about you.  Do you know what a vegetable is? You should probably have one.

Me: Totally. BUT CAN THERE BE VODKA.

It's gross outside right now, but even if it weren't, I'd still be craving comfort food and what is more comforting than pasta?  The answer is boozy pasta. You're welcome.

Recipe #12: Spaghetti Alla Vodka and Roasted Veggies

Choice of Libation: Water. In the form of ice. In a glass with vodka. Lemon slice. The late great Jane Alderman called this drink a Vodky.

Choice of Music: Have you ever been up at 3am watching YouTube videos of old episodes of The Voice Australia? If so, may have seen my one of my very favorite singers, Fatai, whose voice contains oceans of soul and emotion and depth.  She is a perfect R&B artist and I wish more people listened to her.  Check out her EP Undone, just right for a rainy day day in your kitchen.
But also. Holy crap.   This cover:

I mean. Come ON.



I mean look at that friggin cornucopia of goodness. <--- not what they called me in high school.



You can pretty much do this with whatever vegetables you have patiently waiting in your fridge and pantry.  I originally got peppers, sweet potatoes and cherry tomatoes a week ago thinking I would eat them for snacks but forgot about them because cheese.



I didn't mean to make this a dairy free dish, but here we are.  It was just because we happened to have this in the pantry but I like how coconut milk affects the texture of the sauce, rich and thick. <--- also not what they called me in high school.



I neglected to take a picture of me pouring the vodka into my face.  You're welcome.


This was actually really delicious.  The sauce was so complex and hearty I forgot to add cheese, which is saying A LOT. I added chicken sausage later but the flavors are so big, you might not need it.  Nourishing! Healthy! Basically a salad!


Mmmm...Vodka salad. Steamy vodka salad.


2 bell peppers chopped
1/2 yellow onion chopped
handful of cherry tomatoes
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
some ounces of vodka
1/2 can of coconut milk (or about 1/2 cup of milk or cream)
spaghetti or whathaveyou


1. Season and roast your veggies with some olive oil at 400 for 30 minutes or so
2.  While that's all happening, boil and salt water and cook your pasta. If you're adding meat, go ahead and cook that now too.
3. Puree the veggies in a food processor or blender with coconut milk
4. Add vodka (I have no idea how much I added to tbh, but just eyeball it) and whatever herbs and spices you love
5.  Toss with pasta and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment