Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Yeah I'm into fitness. Fitness whole burrito in my belly...


What do you do when you are craving Chipotle but are too lazy to pick up and too cheap to meet the minimum $10 for delivery? Get drunk, ransack your fridge and pantry, make a mess in the kitchen and then when all else fails, add lots of cheese. Obv.


Recipes #2 Enchilada sauce, 
#3 Tortillas,
#4 Burrito filling: Beans and tinga chicken / Spanish rice



Choice of libation: Banhez mezcal with a twist of orange and a giant ice cube.  The mezcal by itself is bright and floral with just a little pineapple at the end -- the smoke is there but subtle so it's a smooth sip.  I like adding orange in there because some lovely person at Front Bar decided that was my drink and I am a lover, not a fighter.  

                             

Choice of music: Yesterday was also SaraĆ­ Rodriguez's birthday.  If you don't know her, and you should, she has impeccable taste in everything so if she tells you to listen to something or eat something or do something she is always right because she is basically a perfect human.


So in honor of her, I had to listen to PJ Morton whose music she blasted during an impromptu road trip.  The Piano Album  contains my favorite tracks from his Gumbo and Paul albums but as the title suggests, is just voice and keys, just heart and soul and gorgeous throwback harmonies (feat. The Walls Group, Jojo, Rapsody and Alex Isley).  You can usually hear the gospel and New Orleans influences in his work, but in this album you can focus on the beauty of the lyrics and melodies  - it demands you to take a breath. It chilled me the fuck out.  Which, if you've met me, you know is hard to do.

In addition to SaraĆ­ 's birthday, yesterday was also taco Tuesday and National burrito day.  So. Never tell me I'm not patriotic.  


I was pretty thrilled about being able to make 3 components kind of from scratch - This is truly a pantry/fridge staples meal, right down to the rotisserie chicken which Andie quietly drooled near for the whole of the prep.  



I'm a wimp compared to most people when it comes to spices, but this is actually more smokey than spicy (to go with my mezcal) and adding vinegar and honey wasn't part of the original plan, but as I tasted it during the simmering process, felt it balanced the flavour. And yes.  That is a rice spoon I am using to stir the sauce. Shut up.



This was the part I was most nervous about. I love carbs. I didn't want to fail at carbs.  Throughout the messy process I cursed and screamed and angrily texted my friends of my stupidity, but what's great about kneading and rolling is that you can get out a lot of anger and as a Filipino catholic, this activity turns out to be very useful to me.  So they were fine but I think I might use a different recipe as they weren't as soft as I wanted them to be.  Also.  It is impossible to fail at carbs.  
A giant pita told me that in a dream.  True story. 

I know this is out of order, but there is a section of the recipe where it tells you 
to let the dough rest, and I -


I mean, they're so cute when they're napping.



By using leftover rice and rotisserie chicken, I know I am doing my frugal Gavino bloodline proud.  I didn't really have specific recipes for the rice and the chicken.  I read somewhere that "tinga" is a dish that uses shredded meat, onions and chipotle chilis in adobo sauce so I dumped that in a pan with spices and beans, sauteed a poblano with onions and rice and let everything simmer while I finished my drink.  And yes, that is a Talenti gelato container that held my leftover rice.  Shut up. 




I guess the difference between an enchilada and burrito is whether or not you tuck the sides in? I don't know. I could google it but it's all delicious to me so I don't really care too much.  I do know that at some point when making burritos or "anchelaahdas" you must fold in the cheese.  


Apologies if you don't understand this reference.  Or you're welcome.  START WATCHING SCHITT'S CREEK IMMEDIATELY.




I guess people call this a wet burrito. And some call it a smothered burrito. Both made me slightly uncomfortable (remember? Filipino Catholic...) so I muttered something about semantics and gobbled it up.  You could add guacamole or sour cream if you have it.  We had plain greek yogurt which could work in a pinch.  This is just a celebration in using up ingredients in your home before they go bad and then feeling really so smug about it that you tell all your friends and acquaintances who really don't care. 


Stolen then messily adapted from gimmesomeoven.com:

SAUCE
2 tablespoons olive oil, or any other neutral oil)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons chili powder (not cayenne!*)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Cap full of apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp honey

Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and whisk together over the heat for one minute. Stir in the remaining seasonings (chili powder through oregano). Then gradually add in the stock, whisking constantly to remove lumps. Add vinegar and honey. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes until slightly thickened.

Pour into a mason jar or bowl and save the saucepan for making the filling.


Stolen then messily adapted from Liluna.com:

TORTILLAS
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp unsalted butter softened
3/4 cup lukewarm water

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Transfer to the bowl of a large food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles cornmeal (about 15 1-second pulses). With the food processor running, slowly stream in the warm water. Process until the dough forms a rough ball. If  you are stuck in a kitchen without a food processor your can be YOUR OWN FOOD PROCESSOR and stir by hand using a large bowl and a salad spoon.  Do not be ashamed.  You're doing your best.  

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead for 1 minute until smooth and elastic. Divide dough into 10 equal pieces and roll into balls. Cover dough balls with clean kitchen towel and rest for 15 minutes.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. While skillet is heating, roll tortillas into 7- to 8-inch diameter circles, using a bit of flour to prevent sticking. Place a tortilla into hot skillet and cook until it bubbles up a bit and light brown spots form on the underside, anywhere from 10 to 60 seconds depending on how hot your pan is and how thick your tortillas are. Flip tortilla and cook until second side is done. Repeat until all tortillas are cooked.

Stolen then messily adapted from from Food.com:

RICE
Pat of butter
Poblano pepper diced
1/2 red onion diced
3 cloves garlic
2 cups cooked rice
1 can diced tomatoes
Chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper to taste

Heat butter in a frying pan over medium heat; cook and stir onion, pepper and garlic until slightly tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir tomatoes into onion mixture; add rice. Add spices.  Cover, simmer rice mixture, stirring occasionally, until heated through and flavors are blended, 15 to 20 minutes.

FILLING:
1 tbsp of olive oil or avocado oil or whathaveyou
1 can of black beans
1 small can of chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
1/2 diced red onion
3 cloves garlic
shredded chicken (2 handfuls? I don't know...)
spices (I used smoked paprika, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper)

Using the pot you made the sauce in, saute the onion and garlic till tender, stir in the chicken and chipotle chilis, let it cook for five minutes on low heat then add the beans and spices. Simmer while you cook the tortillas.


PUTTING THE WHOLE THING TOGETHER

- Set the oven to broil
- Scoop the rice and beans onto the tortilla, being careful not to overstuff
- Pull the bottom half of the tortilla to meet the top half, then pull it back forming the filling into a roll, fold the left side in then the right, then tightly roll the burrito and place it seam down onto a skillet or pan.
- Cover the burritos (or if you didn't roll them correctly, enchiladas) with leftover sauce. Fold in the cheese.  Or rather, scatter cheese on top of everything.
- Broil for about 10 minutes or until it gets as melty as you want it
- Add whatever burrito/taco/aaaanchelaahhda toppings you'd like








No comments:

Post a Comment