Sunday, September 28, 2014

ABSOLUT VODKA SAUCE: The only way to get me back in the kitchen

A month.

I HAVEN'T BLOGGED FOR A MONTH.

I know how terrible these past few weeks have been for you, the three people who read this blog, and for that I am truly sorry and offer only my profoundest apologies and vodka wishes with vodka cream sauce dreams. Truth be told, I well never turn down pasta. And I will seldom turn down vodka.  So it's shocking that I have really only dreamed of making a vodka sauce, and now, with a high dosage of strong cough syrup, a nice glass of red, and you three blog followers cheering me on, I have made my dream a reality...

Recipe #31: Pasta with Creamy Vodka Sauce
Choice of libation: CastaƱo Monastrell. We mainly bought it because nothing on the label sounded familiar to us, but we typically enjoy Spanish wines. Also.  $7.99 before tax. Turns out it is a cuvee made from 100% Monastrell vines.  Very smooth finish, and the same subtle fruit and complexity that a lot of Spanish wines have. It'll pair well with a lot of things.  
Choice of music: Bishop Allen's Lights Out, is as delightful as every other one of their albums.  Melodic with a driving beat, it also pairs well with lots of things.

Okay, okay.  First thing's first.  DO WE HAVE ENOUGH VODKA? Yes. I think so.

I really didn't feel like making a salad to go with this, so I thought I'd add vegetables INTO the pasta. Look.  I hadn't cooked in like a month.  I'd gotten lazy

I got the biggest and cheapest can of crushed tomatoes I could find.  
Nothing but the best for this vodka sauce.

This is it when all starts to come together.  There's nothing like that beautiful pink color signifying a good amount of heavy cream in your pasta sauce. Yummm.

Oh, look guys. Basil! More greens...Everybody now,  "IT'S BASICALLY A SALAD!"

And of course. Calcium. According to the recipe, I did this too soon. But I just couldn't wait.

You guys.

Simple? Yes.  Delicious. YES.
Make this sauce because it's good.  

AND.  There will be leftover vodka.


stolen then adapted from food.com

1 lb whole wheat spaghetti, cooked aldente
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1 large zucchini, thinly sliced
2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1 pinch hot pepper flakes
3/4 cup vodka
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
3/4 cup heavy cream
parmigiano-reggiano cheese

Pour the olive oil into the pan and add the onions, zucchini and garlic.
Turn on the heat to medium-low and gently cook for a few minutes.
Add the red pepper flakes cook 1 minute add crushed tomatoes.
Raise the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a boil.
Add the vodka and a pinch of salt and pepper simmer uncovered for about 8 minutes over medium-low heat.
Add the cream and lower the heat, add drained pasta and toss in basil.
Stir to coat well and grate a generous amount of parmesan into the pasta
Serve immediately sprinkled with more parmesan, and red pepper flakes.







No comments:

Post a Comment