Monday, September 29, 2014

I thought you were a Fungi. I ain't got Thyme for this. Zzzzz....

You've met that guy.  Or maybe you are that guy.  You know.  The one who only wants really basic food, salt and pepper is okay, but don't go crazy with those spices, and forget about going out to any restaurant but a steak house or a pizza place.  That guy annoys the crap out of me.  But for some reason, yesterday I was that guy.  I really just wanted chicken. With mushrooms. And maybe some vegetables.  The foodie in me was horrified for seeking out foods that so simple - I should really be challenging my taste buds as well as my culinary knowledge...But as we all know, the heart wants what it wants, and who are we to question it?


Recipe #33: Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli
Recipe #34: Chicken with Thyme Mushroom Sauce
Choice of libation: Beringer Pinot Grigio. In general, I find Beringer to be fine, as in slightly better than 3 buck Chuck.  It's crisp and dry enough to cook with, and pleasant enough to drink.  Also, $4. So.
Choice of music: The Nat King Cole Trio's "Hit that Jive, Jack." I listen to it at least once a year. I have no idea why, but Nat King Cole's voice has always meant autumn to me.  I guess because it's as smooth as a soy chai latte and as comforting as a plum colored pashmina.  

Truthfully, I chose this side because I really didn't feel like making a salad. Also because we had garlic I was afraid would go bad, so I minced up a crap ton and tossed it in.

Lemon, garlic and Parmesan are not only great together, but we also happened to already have them in the fridge.

So it turns out I should have gotten thinner pieces or at least pounded them out a little because it messed with the cooking time a bit.

While the chicken baked in the oven, I started on the mushroom sauce. Mushrooms and thyme sweat it out till you add the booze and the other liquids. 

"With enough butter, anything is good." - Julia Child. And, now, me.

The acidity of the lemon on the garlic-parm broccoli and cauliflower really did balance the richness of the thyme mushroom sauce on the chicken.  I was actually really pleased.

But here is a prettier picture of what the chicken is supposed to look like, stolen from the website I got the recipe from.  I figured you deserved to see what it looked like without the awful yellow tint from my kitchen lighting.

5 cups broccoli and cauliflower florets
4 tablespoons olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
lemon juice
sea salt and ground pepper to taste
generous handful of Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425 and grease a baking sheet 
In a large bowl, mix the florets, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper
Spread the bowl's contents onto the baking sheet
Sprinkle with juice of 1 lemon and a handful of cheese
Bake for 15 minutes

stolen and adapted from www.droolworthydaily.com/
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs  (just make sure they're not too thick)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons butter 

Preheat oven to 400F.

Season chicken breast with garlic salt and pepper. Place in a lightly oiled baking dish. Cook for 10 minutes. 

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and thyme; saute for 4 minutes or until mushrooms are slightly browned. 

Stir in wine, broth, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes or until sauce starts to bubble and thicken. 

Remove from heat; add butter, stirring until butter melts.

Pour mushroom mixture over the chicken and return to the oven; bake for another 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. (I actually had to bake for 15-18 minutes, but it didn't dry out...)



No comments:

Post a Comment